Thursday 8 May 2014

Student volunteers to boost studies

We recommend all our students gain work experience as part of their studies. UCLan Tourism student Asia Connor is in the second year of her degree and spent three months as a volunteer at Nurture Lakeland. Asia kindly provided feedback on her experiences.

"I'm continually keeping up-to-date with the Tourism industry and whilst browsing the World Responsible Tourism Awards 2013 shortlist I came across Nurture Lakeland, who’d been shortlisted for the Best for Responsible Tourism Campaigning award.

"During my time there I was involved in a variety of different projects. I did a lot of work on the 'Drive Less, See More' campaign, working with new software such as InDesign to make car free travel itineraries and posters.

"I've studied a number of modules during my second year and my volunteering has helped me with these, especially 'Tourism Sustainability and Development'

."Nurture Lakeland gave me other real life projects to work on such as 'Love Your Lakes', 'Fix the Fells' and 'Visitor Giving' campaigns. The last one involved making and conducting a questionnaire for visitors. The purpose of this was to gain insight into whether they were aware of the scheme, the likelihood of them donating and which campaign they'd be most likely to donate to.

"I transferred what I learnt at Nurture Lakeland into an assignment on the balance between tourism and the environment, assessing the current situation of the Lake District giving consideration for local and national policies surrounding tourism development and sustainability.

"Throughout university I've discovered it's crucial to gain as much industry experience as possible, but found it difficult to find appropriate work experience within this sector. However, volunteering at Nurture Lakeland has complimented my studies perfectly.

"Being able to volunteer at Nurture Lakeland gave me the opportunity to enhance my learning in a real life workplace, putting what I'm studying in my degree to use in the real world."

No comments:

Post a Comment