Wednesday 30 July 2014

Nicole uses Foundation Degree as springboard to success

Nicole Dawe graduated with First Class Honours from our International Tourism Management programme, but that wasn't the end of her achievements on the course.

She is also one of two students awarded a Davina Chaplin Memorial Prize for the high standard of her academic work (Events student Rhiannon Parker was the other). Jane Shaw, Division Leader for Tourism, Hospitality and Events, presented the award.

We spoke with Nicole to see how she feels about her time on the course: "I made my decision to study at UCLan after deciding to continue to live at home and also after visiting the campus, I saw it as more of a community than a large university.

"After studying Tourism and Events Management as a Foundation Degree for two years at Runshaw Adult College, I was apprehensive of the change of environment. However, I was instantly welcomed by endless resources such as the library and also the Division's lecturers who shared my passion for tourism and were always on hand to offer their expertise and experience within the industry which I found invaluable.

"The course modules gave me a deeper insight into the Tourism and Events industry from a management perspective, giving me the confidence to attain a manager's position in the industry.

"Looking back on my year at UCLan it has really given me the drive and inspiration to welcome future challenges with confidence. After studying the wide range of modules I'm currently considering options to utilise the skills and experience I gained at UCLan.

"My hard work and also the support of the university community have given me the foundations to achieve my future goals and I know I wouldn’t have been able to attain them otherwise."

No comments:

Post a Comment